Brown Butter Blooms in the Dessert
During these covid times I’ve been toying with my recipes while digging into the pantry to create desserts only a roving mind can summon!
For Cider Whiskey Puddin I found the nuttiness of brown butter, apple cider, and whiskey triangulate into one surprise of a puddin. This recipe idea came in a dream: it was spot on with the first taste!
INGREDIENTS: Milk options: Choose creamy versions of oat milk, e.g. – Chobani’s Plain Extra Creamy or Costco’s Kirkland brand. Thin milk substitutes, like rice or almond milk aren’t as satisfying
- If you have time, cooking down the apple cider will yield a deeper flavor. Well worth the time. Simmer 3 cups of cider until reduced by half.
- butter – 2 TBS
- apple cider – 1 1/2 cups or apple juice
- apple cider vinegar – 1 1/2 TBS
- oat milk – 1/2 cup, or half n half, or cream
- corn starch- 3 TBS
- brown sugar – 2 TBS
- allspice – 1/8 tsp, or cinnamon, cardamom, or other sweet spice
- agar – 1/2 tsp or gelatin
- salt – 1/8 tsp
- whiskey – 3 TBS or bourbon, [added off heat at the end for a punchier flavor or added at step 3 to burn off the alcohol]
- diced apple
- small dice of cheddar cheese
- If concentrating the juice, pour 3 cups into a pan and bring to boil then reduce to 1-1/2 cups; about 10-15 minutes
- In a medium pot, heat the butter on medium-low, stirring occasionally until the solids begin to brown; a few minutes; careful – butter can burn near the end. Let cool in the pan
- Add the tapioca flour, sugar, spice, agar, and salt to the cooled butter and whisk in half the milk to fully dissolve. Then add in the remaining, milk, juice, and vinegar.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat; a few minutes. Simmer for about one minute.
- Off heat add in the whiskey [or if you want to cook out the alcohol add in the whiskey along with the other ingredients].
- Pour the puddin into a serving bowl or individual dishes. Allow to come to room temperature, then cool for a few hours in the fridge
Recipe by B. Hettig. ©2021