How Good This Is! Miso Makes It Creamy And Deliciously Complex
- bananas – 5 medium, very ripe
- flour – 1-3/4 cups
- baking soda – 1 tsp
- baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- salt – 1/4 tsp
- butter – 1 stick, softened
- sugar – 3/4 cup
- miso – 2 TBS. chickpea, or sweet, or mellow miso
- buttermilk – 1/2 cup (or 1/2 c milk with 1-1/2 tsp. lemon juice or white vinegar}
- eggs – 2 large
- Bring butter to room temp, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare a loaf pan by rubbing with butter and dusting with flour or use baker’s spray oil with flour.
- Mash 4 of the 5 bananas with a fork. Leave slightly chunky.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Using a stand or hand mixer cream the butter, sugar, and miso until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- With mixer running on low drizzle in the buttermilk, and add eggs 1 at a time.
- Mix batter into the mashed bananas.
- Combine banana mixture with dry ingredients until just blended. Pour into loaf pan.
- Halve the last banana and position on top of the batter.
- Bake for one hour. Test using a wooden toothpick; if it comes out clean, it’s done. Cool on a rack for 30 minutes, then flip out of pan to cool.
Recipe is an original by Oringer and Bissonette of Little Donkey, Cambridge, MA