These Two Breakfast Dishes are My All-Time Favorites
For a quarter century I have been an oatmeal fan with a twist. I learned to make it at night before going to bed. The recipes are super quick to fix, and yield a hardy bowl of breakfast. Last year I found this cold oatmeal and love-love-love it; almost pudding-like!
[Cold Style] – Serves 1: Can easily be doubled or quadrupled
- quick oats, 1/2 cup, [not rolled oats or steel cut oats]
- dried fruit, 1/4 cup, minced, love mango, or berries
- flax seeds, 1 TBS, or chia
- salt, 1/4 tsp
- milk, 1 cup, of choice [almond, coconut beverage, milk, etc.]
- nuts, 2 TBS, chopped
- Combine the first four ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Add the milk then refrigerate overnight.
- In morning stir well and top with nuts.
Recipe source courtesy of the NYTimes
[Warm Style] – Serves 4-6
- whole oat groats, 1 cup, rinsed [groats are the whole unpolished grain]
- apple juice, 1 cup, [or other juice]
- water, 4 cups
- almond butter, 1 TBS, [opt.]
- salt,1/2 tsp
- cinnamon, 1 tsp
- raisins, 1/3 cup [or other dried fruit]
- Combine all in a slow cooker and cook on warm for 8 hours.
- In the morning stir well and let rest a couple minutes and the oatmeal will become creamy.
*I was surprised to learn the chief photographer for National Geographic found and used this recipe!