Melted Cheddar + Beer + Mustard on Toast – a Classic!
The world of cheese throws a beam of light on this classic dish. Welsh rarebit is not necessarily Welsh and rarebit is a mispronunciation of rabbit—which has none in it. Go figure! Yet, I grew up with this dish that my sibs and I thought more of like a grilled cheese sandwich.
Welsh rarebit is spooned over buttered toast and then broiled to brown the cheese into umami bombs.
- cheddar cheese – 8 oz, small dice or shredded
- beer – 1/3 cup
- mustard – 1 tsp
- hot pepper flakes – to taste [optional, or hot sauce]
- bread, hearty style – sliced
- In a small pot combine the cheddar, beer, mustard, and pepper flakes and on low heat begin to melt and stir using a whisk
- When melted continue to stir to incorporate the beer
- Butter the bread and toast it on a light setting
- Spoon on the rarebit over the toast and turn broiler on and broil for a few minutes, until cheese is well browned
- Serve with soup or stew
ALTERATIVE SERVING: Meld the ingredients in a fondue pot with cubes of toast and serve along with dill pickles and beer