Crispy Lil Darlin’s!
Let’s face it, there is a narrow path between great and sucky Brussels sprouts. I was wary about how simple this method was, but the results are spectacular! Crispy, richly caramelized nuggets in a straight forward technique.
- Brussels sprouts – 1-1/2 LBS
- olive oil – 3 TBS
- salt – 1 tsp
- pepper – 1/8 tsp
- Lightly trim the stem ends, then cut into the stems with a deep X to allow heat to penetrate
- It’s okay to leave some stray green leaves in the mix, they will char and boost flavor
- Preheat the oven to 400º F
- Toss all the ingredients gently in a large bowl and pour out onto a baking sheet
- Bake for 30-40 minutes [depending on the size of the sprouts], shaking the sheet every 5-6 minutes.
- They are done when deep charred spots appear
If you like, serve with a spritz of apple cider or balsamic vinegar
Recipe adapted by B. Hettig