A Creamy Change of Finery for Stolid Greens
Steamed greens are sturdy fare without much adornment.
Sometimes it’s nice to change it up. This quick nutmeg sauce offers a comfort to winter greens. We widened this version to include any or all cooked greens, but the original by Martha Stewart, offers a play on chard leaves. Our Cookshare Club made this dish and found it to be a repeat recipe for its ease and deliciousness.
- winter greens (chard, kale, beet), 1-1/2 LBS., or mixture stemmed, roughly chopped
- butter, 2 TBS.
- shallots, 1/4 cup, chopped
- flour, 1 TBS.
- milk, 1 cup
- nutmeg, 1/2 tsp., freshly grated is best
- salt, 1 tsp.
- pepper, 1/4 tsp., freshly ground is best
- Heat a large skillet. Add butter and shallots then cook a few minutes until shallots are softened.
- Add flour and stir into butter for a minute. Add milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Increase heat and stir constantly to reduce liquid by half; a couple minutes.
- Add the greens and cover, lower heat to medium-low and cook 4-6 minutes until tender. Serve warm.