Almost as Fast as Making a Sandwich, Here’s a New Way to Dessert
I enjoy creating simple fruit desserts that yield oohs and aahs!
This kid-friendly technique uses egg roll skins found in the freezer section in Asian markets. This is a quicker alternative to puff pastry dough—no need to roll out the dough, each sheet peels off and is instantly ready for this easy-peasy filling.
INGREDIENTS: Any fruit is game. I grow my own pineapple. Try mangoes, cherries—it’s wide open
- cream cheese – 1/2 block [4 oz]
- confectioner’s sugar – 4 tsp
- pineapple – 1+ cups, minced and drained
- salt – pinch
- cinnamon – 1/2 tsp [or other cookie spice]
- egg roll skins – 10-12 [or 2 8-inch wheat tortillas]
- butter – 4 TBS, melted and cooled
Left: Rolling into cylinders: Right: Using an Air Fryer Basket to Hold Turnovers in Place While Cooking
- Prepare fruit: dice and if juicy, place on toweling
- Melt and cool the butter
- Combine the cream cheese and sugar, and lightly toss in the fruit
- Open the egg roll wrappers [keep under damp toweling] and lay one on the cutting board
- For a triangle: turn the wrapper to form a diamond: spoon about 2 TBS of batter into half the wrapper, leaving a half inch near the edges
- Brush butter on the edges then fold into a triangle [or roll like a spring roll] and then brush butter on both sides
- Preheat oven or air fryer to 360º
- For an oven baking lay them on foil or parchment paper—if using an air fryer lay bare on non-stick basket
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the pastry takes on color.
Serve right out of the oven. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar or a little warm jam and yogurt
The recipe I sourced actually used wheat tortillas cut into 8 wedges. It’s all good. This makes for a great kid dessert bar with a variety of fruits and toppings.
I’ll keep you posted with tortillas and making them into triangles. I’m also going to blend confectioner’s sugar in the melted butter to see if I can promote browning. The upside, they’re all delicious.