Clean Out the Fridge: Endless Pastabilities
Be a more liberated chef, make your very own pasta salad with the gang of goodies you have stashed in fridge and pantry. Think this through: it’s a salad with cooked pasta—get gathering!
- Prepare some macaroni and cook al denté; go for curly or shaped macaroni
- Mince some or all of the following:
- onion, shallot, or scallion
- celery or fennel bulb
- bell pepper or mild chili peppers
- fresh herbs: parsley, cilantro, mint, etc.
- celery seed
- spice blend: herbes de Provence, taco, or your own combo
- cooked beans or diced cooked protein [tuna, tofu, sausage, chicken]
- olives, diced pickle or fermented veggie on hand
- diced cheese: feta, blue cheese, mozzarella
- tomatoes, cucumbers
- preserved lemon [optional, or lemon zest]
- Dressing: a classic vinaigrette; shake the following in a jar:
- 4 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp wine vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp mayo [opt. thickens the dressing]
- Cook the pasta
- Make the vinaigrette
- Prep the veggies and toss in large bowl
- Add other add-ins of choice
- Eyeball an appropriate amount of pasta and add to the bowl
- Toss with enough dressing to coat the pasta well
- Serve topped with chopped herbs
Refrigerate for an hour or more for improved flavor.
Serve warm, room temp, or chilled. If served after a few days, squeeze on more lemon juice
HINT: Undercook the pasta as the vinaigrette will soften it. Having a toothy macaroni scores big points!
Recipe by B. Hettig