Air Fryers Are Even Better Roasters
Take Root Vegetables on a Heated Journey
Air fryers are joining a parade of appliances to make cooking more accessible—and I might add—more profound. There are many ways to prepare certain dishes and and equal amount of ways to achieve good results.
Cooks! The air fryer just topped all my other devices for roasting veggies; this validates the air fryer.
Air frying has a specific advantage over all other devices and methods. Torrents of super hot air blow over root vegetables to wick out water and then caramelize their sugars to make them intensely sweet. The texture in this carrot dish is more like a tender cut of meat—not mushy, not crispy, but gently chewy
This recipe is a template for root vegetables. Exchange turnips, beets, zucchini, and more into stunning dishes. Change out this included marinade with any other you might have and watch the dishes pop out of your machine!
For measurements, consider 1/2 cup of veggies per diner. Great as a planned-over; so fill your air fryer a couple times or more
- carrots – 6 medium, 1/2 inch chunks
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Italian herb blend – 1 tsp, [or 1/2 tsp each dried oregano and thyme]
- garlic powder – 1/2 tsp [note powder form prevents clove garlic pieces from burning]
- olive oil – 2 TBS
- chili flakes – 1/4 tsp
- liquid smoke – 1/4 tsp
- parmesan cheese – 2 TBS, after air frying, while still warm
- Prep the carrots—be sure they are cut about the same size, either in 1/2 inch ovals, or I also like 2 inch long planks for a different presentation
- In a large bowl combine the dry marinade ingredients, then mix with the oil
- Toss in the carrots and toss well
- Preheat the air fryer, then add the carrots and arrange in a single layer
- Air fry at 380º F for 11-12 minutes, shaking or stirring once at the halfway mark
- As the size of the carrots vary, continue air frying until you see spotty caramelized bits about the carrots
ADORNMENTS: Top with chopped chives or scallion tops
Cooks! I can’t wait to delve into other root veggies and sauces. It’s a brand new air fryer world!
Recipe adapted from original
One thought on “High Roast Carrots”