Chocolate and Peanut Powder…I’m Onto Something!
This is a creamy, low-calorie, and vegan pudding; almost as rich as a mousse. Introducing peanut powder! A low-calorie extract of roasted peanuts that boosts flavor.
I’ve been biding my pandemic time working out simple puddings from common juices, fruits, and pantry goods. I call them Pantry Puddings. So many more to come!
For one of the thickeners I prefer to use agar [or agar-agar]—composed of powdered seaweed. It replaces traditional gelatin. Find at international stores.
The agar creates the structure and corn starch makes it creamy.
One of the unique benefits of agar—you can readjust the pudding’s consistency. When cooled if pudding is too thick or too thin, reheat and add more milk or more mix—then reheat and cool.
INGREDIENTS: I love to use oat milk. My very favorite, Chobani’s Plain Extra Creamy [unmatched milk substitute!]
- milk – oat or other non-dairy, 2 cups
- peanut powder – 3 TBS.
- cocoa powder – 2 TBS.
- sugar – 3 TBS.
- corn starch – 2 TBS. [or potato starch, or tapioca flour]
- agar powder – 1/2 tsp.
- salt – pinch
- vanilla extract – 1 tsp.
- Nutella – 2 TBS. [opt.] blended off heat into the hot pudding.
- Begin to warm the milk on low-medium heat. Don’t let it come to a boil before mixing in the dry ingredients.
- Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- While stirring the warming milk, slowly add the dry ingredients while continuing to stir.
- Bring to a full simmer while stirring, then continue to simmer for about a minute.
- Stir in the vanilla off the heat.
- Pour into a serving bowl or individual ramekins and cool.
- Refrigerate until well chilled.
TOPPINGS: Any and all the following will add beautiful accents!
- Nutella – warm and then drizzle over the cooled pudding [pictured above]
- bittersweet chocolate niblets
- oatmeal raisin or other cookies, chopped
- whipped cream or Greek yogurt
MAKE A PUDDING PIE! Use a fully baked pie crust of choice and fill with warmed Choconut Pudding and then chill.
No Bake Crust: Use any crisp cookie of choice
• Graham crackers – 1-1/2 cups, crumbled
• butter – 4 TBS, melted
1 Crumble cookies with your hands and place in food processor. Create a fine crumb.
2 Warm the butter and mix into the crumbs to form a dough.
3 Lightly oil a 9-inch pie pan and add crumb mixture. Press and smooth out using a fork and your hand. Compact well including the sides. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
4 Add warm pudding mixture and chill completely.
ICE BOX PIE VERSION: after Step 4, place the pie in the freezer for at least two hours.
Served with Greek Yogurt, Honey, Nutella, and Pistachios