Make a batch of fritters using any soft veggie, like raw zucchini, yellow squash, or even cooked veggies, like yams or broccoli stems.
These are ”potato pancakes” with another vegetable.
INGREDIENTS: Substitute yams or yellow squash
- zucchini – 2-1/2 LBS, or yellow squashcoarsely grated
- salt – 1 tsp
- eggs – 2
- feta cheese – 2/3 cup or pecorino romano
- bread crumbs, dry – 1/2 cup unseasoned, or Panko
- flour- 1/4 cup
- scallions – 2 cups, (1 bunch), minced
- garlic, fresh – 2 tsp, (2 med. cloves), minced
- parsley, fresh – 1/2 cup
- mint, fresh – 3 TBS chopped (or 1-1/2 TBS fresh marjoram)
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- baking soda – 1/4 tsp, promotes browning
- pepper – 1/8 tsp
- vegetable oil – 2 TBS or more to fry fritters
INSTRUCTIONS: If using cooked veggies, finely mince and skip salting step below
- Grate squash and place in a colander then toss with one tsp salt and allow salt to release liquid for 30 minutes. Do not rinse off the salt.
- Place the zucchini in a kitchen towel and gather all the corners to seal in the zucchini. Twist the toweling to wring out as much liquid as you can
- Make the batter by combining the eggs, bread crumbs, flour, scallions, garlic, parsley, mint, salt, baking soda, and pepper. Add the zucchini to the batter only after the next step
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees while heating a large skillet under medium heat
- Add the oil and when just beginning to smoke, fill a 1/4 cup measure and pour batter into skillet, press out to about a half-inch with the bottom of the measuring cup. Add more fritters, but cook in two batches so as not to crowd the skillet.
- When golden flip and repeat; 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Be sure they are deeply brown
- Place in covered plate in oven and continue with remaining batter
- Serve warm
Be sure to leave untouched while sautéing for at least 3 minutes to form a crust. Left:
Served with roasted salmon, cauliflower pickle, and brown rice; Right: served with shells in marinara and sweet/sour meatballs
I love to serve with apple sauce or sour cream. Here are some purple yam and sweet potato versions
2022 Recipes by B. Hettig