Master Chef’s Non-Refrigerated Classic
James Beard, the heralded cook & author, wrote affectionately of this recipe his mother made for their trips to the beach. Research shows it to be over 140 years old. I’ve been making it for twenty years now!
This potato salad contains no egg or dairy; it’s safe to serve at room temperature. It’s complex and adds a shine to any buffet or picnic table.
SERVES 6 to 8
INGREDIENTS: I updated this version to include pre-cutting and microwaving the potatoes to make it ultra-quick.
- potatoes- 2 LBS., (6 medium): Yukon or Red Bliss, peeling optional*, 1/2″ dice
- salt- 1 1/2 tsp
- pepper- 1/4 tsp
- olive oil- 1/2 cup
- dry white wine- 1/4 cup
- vinegar- 1 TBS, white wine or cider vinegar
- parsley- 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- scallions- 1/4 cup finely chopped
- *For a more rustic texture, leave skins on—unless the peel is thick. If you prefer to boil the whole potatoes as in the original, go to this link.
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Add to a microwave safe bowl and add a tsp of water. Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave 6 minutes on high.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing.
- Test the potatoes for tenderness, drain and while still warm toss with the dressing.
- Flavor will deepen in a couple hours or overnight.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature.