Add A Few Caribbean Pantry Items To Black Beans And Taste A Classic
Whenever you get to fixing a mess of black beans, it’s nice to save a cup or two with some potlicker to fashion soup.
This recipe is for a scratch soup, but if you have cooked beans, just omit the bean cooking section and go to step 2 to complete.
RECIPE: Serves 8-10
- black beans, dried – 2 cups, sorted and rinsed
- water – 8 cups
- salt – 1 tsp.
- *cumin seeds – 1-1/2 tsp
- *coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- *bay leaves – 3 small
- *oregano – 1 tsp dried or 1 TBS. fresh
*If you have taco seasoning blend, you can omit the spices/herbs above and add 4 tsp
- vegetable oil – 3 TBS
- sweet pepper – 2 cups, chopped, (or combination hot & sweet peppers)
- celery – 1 cup, chopped
- onion – 2 cups, (1 large), chopped
- garlic – 1 TBS, (2-3 cloves), minced
- soy sauce – 2-1/2 TBS, (or 2 tsp salt)
- pepper – 1/2 tsp
- wine vinegar – 1 TBS
TABLE SIDE TOPPINGS:
- hot sauce
- dry sherry
- sour cream
- scallion tops – minced
- cilantro – chopped
INSTRUCTIONS: Following are instructions for pressure cooking. If using pot or slow cooker, cook on low until softened. Slow cooker takes 6 or so hours, stove top takes at least one hour.
- Pressure cooker method: Add beans, water, and salt to a pressure cooker. Pressure cook^ for 20-25 minutes. Taste and repressurize if more time needed to soften.
- Meanwhile in a dry, large skillet toast the cumin and coriander about a minute then crush or grind. Add oil to the pan and sauté the spices and veggies until wilted.
- Add the sautéed veggies to the beans and simmer for 20 minutes. Thin the soup if needed with additional water.
- Off heat add the soy sauce, pepper, and vinegar . Stir and taste to adjust seasoning.
Serve with table side condiments.
OPTIONAL SERVING IDEA: Poach some shrimp or other bite-sized protein with a spice blend, [I love blackening seasoning or taco]. Serve soup over rice topped the shrimp.
^BRINING BEANS: I am a big fan of soaking beans before cooking. For velvety bean texture, soak dried beans in 4 cups of water with 2 TBS. of salt for 6-8 hours. Discard the salted water (or save for another time) and lightly rinse the beans. Then add to pressure cooker and cook for only 9-10 minutes and proceed to Step 2.