Baked Fruit Under a Crunchy Topping – It’s a Winner Takes All Dessert!
Crisps of fruit, nuts, and oats, are a simple tradition and a great finish to the meal. Over the years I have made countless combinations of fruits and nuts to highlight the season or when there’s an abundance of fruit on hand.
FEATURED: Mango-Ginger Crisp
Other Faves: [contact me for ingredients]
- Blueberry or Blueberry-Peach
- Cherries Jubilee
- Five-Spice Pear
- Amaretto Apple
FRUIT FILLING: For Mango-Ginger Crisp
- corn starch, 3 TBS, [or arrowroot powder]
- allspice powder, 1/2 tsp
- salt, 1/4 tsp
- sugar, 1/3 cup
- mangos, 8 cups (5 large), 1/2-inch dice
- lemon juice, 2 TBS
- rolled oats, 1 cup
- flour, unbleached, 1 cup
- sugar, 1/2 cup
- pecans, 1 cup
- crystallized ginger, 3 TBS, minced
- cardamom powder, 1/2 tsp
- salt, 1 tsp
- butter, cold, 9 TBS, chopped
- vegetable oil, 3 TBS, neutral flavor
TOPPINGS: ice cream or Greek-style yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the fruit filling: combine the corn starch, allspice, salt, and sugar in a bowl, add the fruit and lemon juice and combine with a spatula.
- Add the filling to a 13 x 9 x 2 oiled baking dish and bake for 15 -20 minutes, until just bubbling.
- Meanwhile, make the topping: in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine all cobbler topping ingredients and pulse just to a crumbly consistency.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit and bake again uncovered for about 20-30 minutes until brown spots appear on the topping. Be sure there are brown spots for a full flavor.
Serve crisp warm topped with ice cream or Greek Yogurt