Enjoy Rice Then Adore Rice Burgers!
WOW! Simple and delicious! I made this recipe after 20 years and once again got raves from doubting diners. What a vegan surprise!
Unlike most veggie burgers, this has just a few ingredients. It yields a nice crunchy crust. Next time you make a batch of rice, double it and later in the week make rice burgers!
INGREDIENTS: I use short grain brown rice for it’s chewy, sticky texture. One cup raw rice yields enough to make this recipe.
- brown rice, cooked, 3 cups, [I made burgers even with leftover risotto]
- miso, dark, 2 TBS.
- scallions, two, minced
- herbs, freshly chopped, 1/3 cup – parsley or other combinations
- flour, 1/4 cup
- baking soda, a pinch
INSTRUCTIONS: It’s best to bring rice to room temperature before starting. Have everything prepared, but don’t make the burgers until you have the skillet heated up.
- Bring a large non-stick skillet up to medium heat and add some oil and a pinch or two of baking soda, [aids in browning the burgers].
- In a large bowl thoroughly combine the rice, miso, herbs and flour. Form 4 burgers by pre-dividing in the bowl, then forming a ball and tossing back and forth in your hands to remove air. Press into a patty.
- Drop them directly into the skillet as they will be delicate and will firm up as they cook.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes and flip. Turn heat to low and cover. Cook for 6 or more minutes more. Flip once more and cook uncovered for an other minute or two.
- Serve with traditional toppings and condiments.
Leftover Risotto—L to R: rice mixture; divided into quarters in bowl; in non-stick skillet
Recipe inspired by John and Jan Belleme