I tried this recipe again after 20 years and once again it got raves from my doubting diners. What a vegan surprise!
Unlike most veggie burgers, this has just a few ingredients. It yields a nice crunchy crust. Next time you make a batch of rice, double it and later in the week make rice burgers!
INGREDIENTS: I use short grain brown rice for it’s chewy, sticky texture. One cup raw rice yields enough to make this recipe.
- brown rice, cooked, 3 cups
- miso, dark, 2 TBS.
- scallions, two, minced
- herbs, freshly chopped, 1/3 cup – parsley or other combinations
- flour, 1/4 cup
INSTRUCTIONS: It’s best to bring rice to room temperature before starting. Have everything prepared, but don’t make the burgers until you have the skillet heated up.
- Bring a large non-stick skillet up to medium heat and add some oil.
- In a large bowl thoroughly combine the rice, miso, herbs and flour. Form 4 burgers and drop them directly into the skillet, as they will be delicate. They will firm up as they cook.
- Cook burgers for about 3-4 minutes per side. Peek to see if browning has occurred before flipping. Repeat.
- Serve with traditional toppings and condiments.
Recipe inspired by John and Jan Belleme