Yep, you read right — cauliflower florets do look like mini chicken wings if you squint a bit. These Buffalo style “wings” are vegan and surprisingly delicious!
They are baked, not fried and yield a back-of-the-throat rich heat that wings bring. Our cooking club crew at Cookshare (Facebook: Cook Share) loved both the taste and texture. These will stand on their own if you do not compare them to the real dish.
- flour- 3/4 cup
- onion powder- 1 tsp
- paprika- 1/2 teaspoon (sweet, or smoked paprika)
- salt- 1/4 tsp
- pepper- 1/4 tsp
- water- 1 cup
- hot sauce- 10 TBS, divided (Frank’s hot sauce is original to Buffalo wings)
- cauliflower- 1 large head or 2 small, cut into large florets
- butter- 2 TBS. [optional]
- celery and creamy dressing
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Combine 2 TBS. hot sauce and water then pour into the flour mixture and combine.
- Add the cauliflower and toss well. Using tongs transfer cauliflower to a baking sheet in a single layer. Do not add any remaining batter once the cauliflower are on the sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, then begin to check for bits of browning. Check every 5 minutes until brown spots appear. After 20 minutes, check bottom of one cauliflower to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Meanwhile, warm the butter [if using] and combine with the remaining 8 TBS. hot sauce in a large bowl.
- Lastly, add the hot cauliflower to the bowl of hot sauce and toss. Serve with slices of celery and dressing.
Original recipe credit: Adrianna Adarme and adapted here.