Yep, you read right — cauliflower florets do look like mini chicken wings if you squint a bit. These Buffalo style “wings” are vegan and surprisingly delicious!
They are baked, not fried and yield a back-of-the-throat rich heat that wings bring. Our cooking club crew at Cookshare (Facebook: Cook Share) loved both the taste and texture. These will stand on their own if you do not compare them to the real dish.
- water, 1 cup
- hot sauce, 10 TBS, divided (Frank’s hot sauce is original to Buffalo wings)
- flour, 3/4 cup
- onion powder, 1 tsp
- paprika, 1/2 teaspoon (sweet, smoked paprika is also good)
- salt, 1/4 tsp
- pepper, 1/4 tsp
- cauliflower, 1 head, cut into large florets
celery and creamy dressing
- Preheat oven to 425º F. In a small bowl whisk together water and 2 tablespoons of wing sauce. Set aside. In a larger bowl add 8 TBS hot sauce.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Pour the water-hot sauce mixture into the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Add the cauliflower to the flour mixture and toss until combined. Transfer to a baking sheet and spread into single layer. Do not add any remaining batter once the cauliflower are on the sheet. Bake 20 minutes and check for bits of browning, continue to bake if needed. Check every 5 minutes until brown spots appear.
- Add the hot cauliflower to the bowl of hot sauce and toss. Serve with slices of celery and dressing.
Original recipe credit: Adrianna Adarme and adapted here.