I’m a fan of hot, crisp fritters—those hotcakes of potato, yams, or summer squash. It’s worth this little extra prep time to make a side that balances out a simple meal with orangy playfulness. Look ma! Only a handful of ingredients!
INGREDIENTS: Serves 2-3
- yams, 2 medium, peeled and shredded
- egg, 1
- coconut oil, 1 TBS., divided
- allspice, 1/4 tsp., or cinnamon, or nutmeg
- salt, 1/2 tsp.
- pepper, 1/8 tsp.
- Peel and grate the yams and add to a mixing bowl.
- Warm the coconut oil enough to make it a liquid and add half to the bowl along with egg, allspice, salt, and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-low, (non-stick is a good choice.) Add the remaining coconut oil.
- Mix ingredients by hand until well combined.
- Divide mixture into six balls and lay in pan, then use a measuring cup to flatten slightly.
- Fry on medium-low heat (sugar in yams will scorch if too hot) for about 2-3 minutes and flip when bottom is golden. Continue to fry a couple minutes more.
- Serve warm.
GARNISH: Mince and top with scallion tops, chives, or thyme.