I’m a fan of hot, crisp fritters—those hotcakes of potato, yams, or summer squash. It’s worth this little extra prep time to make a side that balances out a simple meal with orangy playfulness. Look ma! Only a handful of ingredients!
INGREDIENTS: Serves 2-3
- yams- 2 medium, peeled and coarsely shredded
- egg- 1
- flour- 2 TBS.
- allspice- 1/4 tsp.
- salt- 1/2 tsp.
- pepper- 1/8 tsp.
- coconut oil- 1 TBS., plus more for frying
- Peel and coarsely grate yams and add to a mixing bowl along with egg, flour, allspice, salt, and pepper.
- Warm the coconut oil enough to make it a liquid and add to bowl. Mix ingredients well.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-low, (non-stick is a good choice.) Add a generous coating of coconut oil.
- Fill a scant quarter cup with mixture and pour into skillet, then use measuring cup to flatten slightly.
- Fry on medium-low heat (sugar in yams will scorch if too hot) for about 2-3 minutes and flip when bottom is golden. Continue to fry a couple minutes more.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
GARNISH: Mince and top with scallion tops, chives, or thyme.