Gather Butter, Shrimp, and Kimchi For Asian Shrimp Scampi
I’m always on the prowl for dishes that are 4-star with few ingredients, easy to remember, and get a direct pass into dinner rotation. Yep, it’s all here!
This succulent dish is perfect for both a protein dish or even better—a wowzer appetizer!
INGREDIENTS: Serves 3-4 as Side Protein Dish or 4-6 as an Appetizer
Consider adding cold noodles, tossed in equal parts olive oil and ponzu as a bed for the shrimp
- shrimp – 1 LB., peeled and deveined, [or scallops, or chunks of white fish]
- garlic – 1 tsp., minced
- ginger – 2 tsp., minced
- kimchi – 3/4 cup, coarse purée
- butter – 2 TBS.
- lime juice – for garnish
- cilantro – for garnish
- Prepare the ingredients and have ready at the stove–this is a very quick dish
- Heat up a skillet and melt the butter, add garlic, and ginger. Sauté for 30 seconds
- Add in the shrimp and cook until just pink on both sides; 90 seconds or so
- Add in the kimchi and toss until warmed through
- Serve with a squeeze of lime juice and chopped cilantro
SIDE DISH COMPANION: A PERFECT MATE: AVOCADO!
- avocado – 2, halved, 1/4″ slices
- olive oil – 2 TBS.
- ponzu sauce* – 2 TBS.
- toasted sesame seeds – 1 tsp. [my favorite go-to seasoning. Here’s a quick recipe]
- Scoop out the avocado halves and slice
- Fan them artfully on a serving platter
- Lightly salt and pepper
- Combine 2 TBS. each olive oil and ponzu sauce* and spoon over avocado
- Sprinkle lightly with toasted sesame seeds
*Ponzu sauce is a flavored soy sauce found in most supermarkets. It is loaded with umami flavor and I promise you it will be used it far beyond this dish.
This olive oil-ponzu sauce is also delicious for pasta, salad dressing, or for veggie sautés: just combine equal parts olive oil and ponzu; that’s it!
EXTRA RECIPE: Ahi Tuna with Avocado This is a sister recipe that is a big winner!
© 2021, Bill Hettig. Recipe inspired by Colu Henry of the New York Times
One thought on “Kimchi Shrimp”
This looks delicious!