Make Crusty Bread Pizza. It’s Faster than Delivery and Easy on the Wallet
Remember French bread pizza by the slice you bought right out of the freezer? Stouffer’s® is still around after 40 years!
Here is my home version at about 80% off delivery pies!
I use ciabatta,* the Italian bread, but use any crusty bread. Each slice needs to have the hard crusty bottom as the base. Regular slices of bread won’t provide the chew.
My ciabatta favorites are from Trader Joes and Costco. I get eight 5″ x 4″ slices out of a $2.00 loaf or 25 cents a slice. Add on the other ingredients and you might have a half buck into a slice! The time to make up a slice is about the same as making a club sandwich, but for pennies on the pizza dollar.
INGREDIENTS: Plan to freeze the bread and a jar of pizza sauce, then thaw out for quick assembly
- crusty bread
- olive oil
- pizza sauce
- parmesan cheese or pecorino romano, grated
- basil leaves, fresh, or dried oregano or marjoram or Italian blend
- mozzarella slices, I prefer the string style for ease of use
- TOPPINGS: pepperoni, mushrooms, or other favorites
Plan on slicing to create 1/2 inch bottom 5 inch long planks and then halve and use the bottom half for the pizza. The top half is not as crusty but usable. I save them for sandwiches.
- Prepare the bread by slicing to create bottom crusts. Reserve tops for another use, or use if necessary. If your loaf is more shaped like sandwich bread or loaves, cut them into pizza sized shapes. [I also make seasoned breadcrumbs from the unused parts of the loaf]
- Brush the bread tops with olive oil and toast them in a toaster oven for about 4 minutes until crisp, but not yet brown. If you have a bagel setting use it to toast just the open face
- Sprinkle the crusts lightly with parmesan and then spoon on pizza sauce
- Add leaves of fresh basil, [or lightly sprinkle on dried or fresh oregano, or marjoram]
- Top with slices of mozzarella cut to fit the entire slice. I use string style mozzarella, so easy to open a few and slice to fit
- Add sliced pepperoni, mushrooms, or any of your favorite toppings
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Meanwhile place the slices onto pan lined with tin foil lightly sprayed with oil
- Bake for about 7 to 9 minutes, until the cheese is nicely browned
AIR FRYER INSTRUCTIONS: Pizza is a true game changer when using an air fryer. At 400º in a tornado of hot air, the pizza crisps up and the pepperoni gets added crispy flavor hits! Preheat air fryer and then set at 400º for 6 minutes. I also put an accessory rack on top of the slices so the air wouldn’t blow off the pepperoni
PLANNED-OVERS: Plan on making up a batch of slices and then freeze them; either raw or after cooking. Then you will truly become your own Stouffer’s chef!
© 2021, Bill Hettig