This is one driven tonic! The sharp bite of ginger balances with citrus and honey, then driven by black pepper. Our cooking club went bonkers imbibing this remarkable beverage.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4-6
- ginger, fresh, 4 tsp, chopped
- turmeric, fresh, 4 tsp, chopped (or 1/2 tsp powder)
- water, 3 cups
- honey, 1/4 cup
- lime juice, 1/4 cup or lemon, or orange juice
- peppercorns, 2 tsp
- chia seeds, 1 TBS
- club soda as mixer
- thyme, fresh, as garnish (optional)
- You do not need to peel the ginger or turmeric.
- To a high-speed blender add all but the chia seeds and blend thoroughly.
- Strain through a fine sieve and add in the chia seeds.
- Wait about 10 minutes.
- Shake vigorously then pour into ice filled glasses and top with club soda and thyme.
Recipe by Andy Baraghani, Photo by Alex Lau, Bon Appetit Magazine