This is the start on the yellow brick road to kimchi. A very good place to begin!
Let’s deconstruct kimchi and fashion an everyday recipe as a mainstay in your kitchen. I will show you how to make a sturdy ferment and a key ingredient in a variety of quick dishes.
Traditional kimchi is made by adding chili paste directly onto each whole Chinese cabbage leaf in an all-day affair. This is my wet method that yields very tasty results in one tenth the time.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for 2 Quarts (easily halved or doubled)
1 ½ lbs. Napa cabbage (Chinese)
½ lb. daikon radish (or mix of daikon and carrot)
3 large scallions
2 TBS. fresh garlic, minced
2 TBS. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 ½ – 3 TBS (to taste) Korean chili flakes*
*Purchase Korean chile flakes (gochugaru) at Asian market
Brine: 4 cups filtered water + 2 Tbsp. sea salt
ADDITION: After fermentation is complete, add 1 tsp. of sweetener: honey, agave nectar or sugar and 1 tsp of fish sauce.
Directions for canning jar kits, like the Perfect Pickler®. Review your own fermentor directions to complete.
- Halve cabbage length-wise, remove root section, cut into one inch squares (see below).
- Peel and julienne daikon (and carrot if using)
- Trim and cut scallions into thin, slanted slices
- Place veggies, garlic, ginger, chile flakes in a large bowl; toss well to combine.
- Pack a 2 quart jar with the mixed veggies, packing firmly along the way up to 2-inches from the jar lip.
- Make brine by dissolving salt in water
- Pour brine over vegetables; gently wiggle jar to release air bubbles. Continue filling until just below the lip of the jar.
- Clean off any veggie or seasoning debris from jar rim to ensure good seal.
- Press brine overflow cup into jar and seal with Perfect Pickler® lid. (HINT: you may want to do this with jar in your sink as some brine should spill over).
- Pour tap water into airlock to the max line and gently twist into lid.
- Place in cool location (between 74-66 degrees ) and wait for 4 days
When fermentation is complete, adjust for more spiciness if desired by adding chili flakes
A classic 15-minute comfort dish – Kimchi Fried Rice with Fried Egg and Sesame Seeds
Kimchi Bokkeumbapb (Fried Rice and Kimchi) – Featured above, this is the bomb! Stir fry some planned-over rice in oil in a skillet. Add in minced kimchi to taste. Fry an egg per diner and serve on top with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds.
Purée kimchi with mayonnaise for an instant creamy-spicy dip or spread
copyright 2017, Bill Hettig, email@example.com