This is the start on the yellow brick road to kimchi. A very good place to begin!
Let’s deconstruct kimchi and fashion an everyday recipe as a mainstay in your kitchen. I will show you how to make a sturdy ferment and a key ingredient in a variety of quick dishes.
Traditional kimchi is made by adding chili paste directly onto each whole Chinese cabbage leaf in an all-day affair. This is my wet method that yields very tasty results in one tenth the time.
INGREDIENTS: Find Gochugaru at Asian markets
- Napa cabbage – 1 ½ LBS, 1-inch squares
- daikon radish – 1/2 LB, thin matchsticks
- scallions – 3 large, thin slant slices
- garlic – 2 TBS, minced
- ginger – 2 TBS, peeled, minced
- Korean chili flakes – 3 TBS [gochugaru]
- apple or pear, 1 cup, grated
- water – 4 cups, [unchlorinated]
- sea salt – 2 TBS, [non-iodized]
- fish sauce – 1 TBS [optional; or 1 tsp shrimp paste]
Directions for canning jar kits, like the Perfect Pickler®. Review your own fermentor directions to complete.
- Gather a large bowl and add chopped produce as you go
- Halve cabbage length-wise, remove root section, cut into one inch squares (see below)
- Peel and julienne daikon
- Trim and cut scallions into thin, slanted slices
- Add grated fruit, garlic, ginger, chili flakes, toss well to combine.
- Pack a 2 quart jar with the ingredients, packing firmly along the way up to 2-inches from the jar lip
- Make brine by dissolving salt in water
- Pour brine over vegetables; gently wiggle jar to release air bubbles. Continue filling until just below the lip of the jar
- Clean off any veggie or seasoning debris from jar rim to ensure good seal
- Press brine overflow cup into jar and seal with Perfect Pickler® lid, (HINT: you may want to do this with jar in your sink as some brine should spill over).
- Pour tap water into airlock to the max line and gently twist into lid
- Place in cool location and ferment for 4 days
When fermentation is complete, adjust for more spiciness if desired by adding chili flakes
A classic 15-minute comfort dish – Kimchi Fried Rice with Fried Egg and Sesame Seeds
Kimchi Bokkeumbapb (Fried Rice and Kimchi) – Featured above, this is the bomb! Stir fry some planned-over rice in oil in a skillet. Add in minced kimchi to taste. Fry an egg per diner and serve on top with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds.
Purée kimchi with mayonnaise for an instant creamy-spicy dip or spread
recipe adapted by B. Hettig